Mountaineer Leadership Academy, the successful staff training program established by West Virginia University five years ago, is expanding and refining its offerings to include a broader range of opportunities and also reach affiliate groups.
“As the program has matured, and scores of WVU employees have gone through MLA in our five years, the need to offer more targeted training and learning opportunities has become crystal clear,” said Chelle Adams, director of training and development. “And we have listened to those who have asked for MLA-style training to be made available to others within the University community, including faculty and affiliated organizations such as the WVU Research Corp., the WVU Foundation and the WVU Bookstore.“
The restructured MLA will consist of an academy of institutes, each one designed to focus on different groups of professionals. Participants will learn areas of expertise based on the MLA five pillars of leadership: individual, interpersonal, managerial, organization and contextual skills.
The five institutes are:
- Emerging Supervisor Institute: intended for new and experienced WVU supervisors, along with aspiring individuals, seeking to understand and apply fundamental skills to successfully supervise WVU employees.
- Supervisor Development Institute: WVU stakeholders seeking to develop cooperative partnerships in order to strengthen their abilities and improve performance.
- MLA Emerging Leaders Institute: WVU stakeholders aspiring to enhance leadership skills by developing a team to create solutions that will advance WVU’s mission.
- Professional Development Institute: focuses on continuous opportunities to engage in professional leadership development programs.
- Leadership Development Institute: intended for senior-level leaders in higher education striving to foster and develop professional leadership skills. Launching spring 2014, LDI will ensure the growth and evolution of West Virginia higher education.
Training and Development is holding informational sessions next month to help interested persons determine which program is best for them. For more information, or to register for one of the sessions, go to: http://tnd.hr.wvu.edu/mla
CONTACT: Chelle Adams; WVU Training and Development
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.